Friday, June 29, 2012

Tales from the keepers and other miscellany

This will be my last post for a bit, my research portion starts now so I'll just be doing a lot of data entry, reading and statistics, nothing anyone wants to hear about. I'll check in on facebook so everyone knows I'm still alive unless something interesting enough to warrant a post comes up.

More things I've learned in the past few days.
1) If a chimpanzee gets out and starts biting your head, a solid punch to the chest will apparently dislodge it and send it running to find someone else.
2) In a fight a chimpanzee will often do one or more of the following
     Bite the head and face area
     Rip off the face
     Stick its finger in the anus of the enemy and pull out intestines
3) If a gorilla gets out, its tendency is largely to wonder around.
4) If a chimpanzee and a gorilla fight, the chimpanzee gets its ass kicked.
5) One apparently has no need of trailer hitches here, just put someone in the trunk and have them hold the trailer
6) There is a lot of fake hair here. It's about 20% if what they sell in the market, and while cleaning the drill enclosure I found two significant pieces of it in there.
7) Chimpanzees learn quickly, two can now press buttons on my watch to make it beep and light up
8) Machetes (ma- chet) here replace about a half dozen items from home including lawn mowers, hedge trimmers, drain snakes and rat traps
9) Baby chimps are stronger than I am

I hope all is well with everyone. I miss things at home but am largely enjoying Limbe. I appreciate everyone who has sent me updates, it's nice to hear from you. I can't always reply because the internet is terrible and I have a limited amount of time, but I am getting them.

1 comment:

  1. I see alot of similar actions and qualities between chimpanzee and Sydney. haha we all miss you very much but we are glad your having fun and learning alot! Love you!!! see you in 57 days!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete