Thursday, February 21, 2013

There is something happening on the chimp island.



There is something happening in the island chimpanzee group.  All of the big males are starting to show up with bite marks and tears, even TKC this 90kg bull of a chimpanzee. The core of the ruling males are TKC (the alpha), Carlos the tallest chimpanzee ever with the human eyes, Mokolo and Damian. There aren’t many males big enough to even try to take a spot higher than they have. Jules is a large male with one eye and a pretty black and reddish coat, but the older ladies still beat the hell out of him any time he gets out of place (including reaching for and grabbing their favorite humans, we are protected by Margaret and Suzie—I can say “we” now, I’ve earned my place with them).
There are two theories going around about what’s going on. 1) The Madames are taking over. The bigger older females who take shit from no one may in fact be tired of living under military rule and are taking over, I guess it happens and when it does it ends up being a much more peaceful ruling with an overall decrease in injuries to the troupe from fighting.  2) The smaller younger guys are banding together. We have two subspecies here, the Pan troglodytes ellioti and Pan troglodytes troglodytes , the elliotis can be much more political about things, in the absence of sufficient leadership, the will bind together to form their own, whereas the troglodytes  tend to rule in the traditional alpha male kind of way. Or this is what I’m told anyway, I’ve never read this, nor can I seem to find it anywhere.

What is clear, is that the boys are losing their power, you can see it in how their acting (there is much pouting, especially in TKC and Carlos), not just the wounds their showing up with.  TKC escaped the week before I got here and he’s been showing weakness ever since. He’s not been as active in the group as he usually is and Carlos will just outright flop on his belly on the floor and just sit there and pout in a really submissive position. Its strange to see something I am so afraid of acting like a baby, its hard to maintain that level of wariness when he keeps waddling over and making sad noises at you, but then I remember he did rip off another chimpanzees face and run around with the body.
Our new job is to watch the social interactions that are going on now and see who seems to be doing better than normal, and if any relationships have changed. I’m interested to see what the outcome of this is, where the power will go. 

(A small post script, since I originally wrote this three days ago. It seems to be some of the smaller males trying to take over. Standing in front of the island chimps while they were still in their satellite this morning we watched the interactions. TKC was still pouting, Carlos hugged him but it did little to brighten him. The biggest standout was Papa. Papa looks like what human 13 year old boys look like when they are going to be tall but aren’t yet.  His hands, feet and testicles/ scrotum are all huge while the rest of him is the size you would expect for a 9ish year old male chimp. He and Carlos were battling this morning, antagonizing each other with avocado pits from different rooms and doing the human equivalent of bumping chests before a fight, lots of posturing and peacocking.  It seems like Carlos is trying to hold this whole thing together but with a hierarchy of 6 chimps that are not consistently doing much in the way of ruling, it’s becoming more difficult to keep everyone in line. More observation will follow, but for now, it seems like there is an overthrow coming led by pubescent teenagers. What will make it more interesting is that Papa is due for surgery next week to fix an inner ear issue and will be in quarantine for some day. We'll see if his supporters hold it together or fall apart then.)


TKC pouting



    
shoulder post coconut carry
On a completely unrelated note, I turned retrieving coconuts into a wod (not that anyone is surprised) but I managed to make myself the sorest I’ve been since I tanked regionals last year. I took 12 in my internal frame hiking bag and walked the kilometer from the volunteer house to the sanctuary, then halfway around it to store them in quarantine, knowing we would have a series of later nights and I wouldn’t get a chance to wod for a couple days I decided to make it harder. I don’t know what 12 coconuts weigh, maybe 20lbs? (The whole thing from the tree, not just the husk you get at the store), so it wasn’t enough to be difficult. So I grab the biggest bag I have, this ridiculously big duffel bag that I can fit in. The only problem is it doesn’t have wearable straps, at least it doesn’t have straps that should be worn. So I pack in roughly 4 dozen coconuts, which ends up being 41kgs when I weighed the bag later (roughly 90lbs). I wore it like a backpack, with the short handles digging into my shoulders, bent 45 degrees at the waist the whole time to keep the bag from flopping backwards. So, dripping sweat in Mtn Rob and Gene fashion I walked the kilometer, all the while passersby calling out “Asha”, which roughly translates to “I’m sorry, that sucks”. The keepers weren’t surprised, everyone else thought I was retarded for doing it that way, which is probably at least a little true. But, in the end, we had 5 dozen coconuts to give the animals, which they loved. Quarantine got them yesterday, chimps today, and the gorillas will get them tomorrow. The bigger guys get the whole thing, its good to make them work for their food sometimes, it passes the time and then they get a reward at the end when they finally get it open. It takes them about an hour to get through everything.  We cut them up and fed the pieces to all of the smaller guys in quarantine.  Nvuru got to the middle, but then gave up, he did have a wonderful time tearing at the husk and splashing it through his water dish. There were indeed seed dispersal breaks.  (Funny story, one of the vets saw a white substance on the bottom of his enclosure and thought he had a tapeworm. There was much anxiety about the whole thing as they are pretty hard to get rid of and can do a nasty number on the body, especially certain types that go into the blood stream and affect the organs including the brain. They made a microscope slide to check the species, just to find out it was ejaculate. This whole thing is the in vet notes, good on them for putting it in, but I can’t say I wouldn’t have let that one go undocumented).  Never a dull moment at the sanctuary.

No comments:

Post a Comment